Thursday 28 August 2008

I'm not doing this alone

Couldn't really be arsed to do a sunday review in the end, partly because I have been drinking heavily since then and any writing I could have attempted would have been gibberish at best. Secondly because the sunday coverage on BBC was shocking and interrupted by Spooks and two epsiodes of Family Guy, I imagine because people who still find Family Guy episodes funny are the type of morons that would complain if their weekly fix of the now sub-par cartoon series was delayed.

However three word reviews abound:
Metallica- loud metal bastards
Lightspeed Champion- wonderful hat magnificence
Pendulum- Prodigy rip off
Conor Oberst- strange but enjoyable

And I didn't really catch anything else, next year we demand equal coverage to the visual gash fest that is televised Glastonbury.

While I'm here I'll just say a few words about the new Bloc Party album that I got today. Intimacy it's called and it is thankfully much more energetic than Day In The City, and mercifully it hasn't taken the electronic path of so many indie bands and simply included bloops and bleeps into an already tried, tested and boring path. The album sounds more like an electronic album with indie elements, which I suppose is where they wanted to be and luckily for them they have the talent to not make this sound like the Ting Tings. Although that doesn't really go for Halo, which is a realitvely old sounding track with a forceful guitar pushing it along, edging ever so slightly into straight rock on the chorus, but with enough of a melodic lift during the verse to stop it from being too kerrang appealing.

And finally while I generally disagree with the NME, more out of habit than any actual qualms with their writing, I think point 7 of the 39 things they learned at festivals is bang on. There are a LOT of shit comedians in this world, simply swearing doesn't equal funny. BBC3 would do well to remember that before comissioning anymore 'comedy' shows.

Time and Figures,

Chris

No comments: